Tuesday, 24 May 2011

A new dry embossing technique

I'm quite chuffed with these cards, not because they are anything fantastic, but because I've come up with a new way of dry embossing. I doubt I'm the first to think of it as there isn't much new under the sun, but I haven't seen it done anywhere else.
I used two tools -the Mandala board and the Hougie board to create a defined decorative border to embossed lines. Firstly, I created a decorative border directly on to the card front by embossing with the Mandala board. With the second card, I also embossed a central sentiment panel, again using the Mandala board. I then transferred the cards to the Hougie board and embossed inside the border of the first card, and outside the border of the second, at 1cm intervals, rotating the card and embossing the other way until I had a diamond grid design.
My head is buzzing with lots of ways of using this technique. I think it will be good using decorative nesties instead of the Mandala board as a guide to creating a decorative edge to the Hougie embossed lines too.
Apologies for the truly awful photos. I find it so hard to photograph white card so it looks white, but hopefully you can see what I was doing in enough detail to get the idea.
I'm entering the first card in to the following challenges:
Less is More challenge blog: butterfly/butterflies
Crafty Cardmakers: embossing 
Joanna Sheen Forum: flutterby magic

11 comments:

  1. Super effect, very creative
    Love the butterflies on your second card too
    Thank you for entering
    Diva LIM mandi
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful technique showcased brilliantly here! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, and a great embossing technique
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two fabulous cards and loving your shaped embossing

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards I love the embossing.. must use my hougie board more.. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both lovely cards and I love the shaped embossing. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annette, these look so beautiful and what a great way to do dry embossing! Just lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two beautiful cards - love your embossing technique!
    Hugs, Sylvia x
    (#216)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annette, these are both beautiful! Love the embossed shapes and the scoring look FAB! BTW, there's a tutorial on my blog which might help you to photograph your cards. tutorial is HERE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both of your cards, and the embossing looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete